Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lookout Moon Pie!

One of the many reasons I hadn't blogged for a while is because I have a new best friend who was taking up a whole lot of my time. That's right, just like your teacher used to have before every classroom got a smartboard.... I am now the proud owner of an old-school, super awesome overhead projector.


Of all my project passions, signs are one of my favourites with a seemingly endless supply of inspiration and possibilities. So an overhead projector allows me to skip the print on paper, transfer with carbon paper approach that I used on my last lot of signs. 

With this new beauty you can plan out your sign on the computer and print it straight onto an overhead transparency (I had to order them online because they are so old-school they don't sell them in the stores anymore!) and project it onto your surface. Trace the lines and you are ready to paint! Not only does it mean I don't have to trace everything I do, but there is no way I could do anything large scale so my very first sign was HUGE, because it could be!

I found this gorgeous Moon Pie sign on the internet and had to make it. It's a direct copy, nothing "inspirational" about it. Sometimes, it's not so much that I want to "own" something I see, I just need to make it. Partly because I want to see if I can but mostly because I love the process, often more than the product. So, I will most likely put this one in my "sell" pile but I really enjoyed making it!

Layer of bright blue then a layer of yellow onto a piece of well-seasoned plywood

Traced the entire pattern onto the wood


Paint each section with craft paint


Fill in the main colour and distress with a power sander!

Detail beauty shot!

So, I have a self-diagnosed case of craft OCD and when the sign was finished, I didn't love the colour, too royal blue and not navy enough.

So I gave it another coat in a darker blue and distressed it again. This is the final product (I promise...)


It's about 3 x 4 feet - my biggest sign ever. With my overhead projector in tow, I may just start painting signs on the side of my house!


Linking Up Here – come join the parties!

10 comments:

  1. Love the sign! You did a great job and I'm sure the overhead projector was a great help. I was lucky enough to get one of those myself a few months ago and I ALSO blogged about it! So, I completely understand your excitement! I love it that there are some things the overhead projector can do that the Smart Board can't even touch! :) Here's my post from when I got MY new toy! http://youcouldmakethat.blogspot.com/2011/06/sign-for-garden-and-new-toy.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so freaking authentic! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sign! I am coming over from French Country Cottage. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Cassie... that looks vintage and if worth loads of $$. Great job! Found you through French Country Cottage. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Fantastic job! Found you via Simple Home Life. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/few-finished-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your sign!! Just found you featured on Whipperberry and I'm your newest follower!
    Laurie @ Gallamore West

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love it! You always do such an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your link at Chic on a Shoestring. And you do realize that you're going to make the demand for overhead projectors to rise because of this... but I so do like the finished version of this sign!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome! I love it. I seriously want to go get a projector from craigslist. plus it kind of brings me back to high school, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with HIV and have lived taking ARV and thought of having Herbal medicine to cure this disease completely. I wouldn't be able to bear Vomiting and my tongue would go white because of these diseases called HIV/Aids. I learned to live with it but I have definitely prayed and had hands laid on me, My friends at work knew about my HIV Status so on a faithful day my friend Hannah talk to me about this great man called Dr Itua From west African because my friend Hannah is from West African too she came to acquire degree here in South Carolina, I accepted the challenge and contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chats on Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967. Then he delivered his Herbal medicine to me which was labeled as Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cure For HIV/Aids, I took it as he instructed. After two weeks I went to the test and I was tested Negative. I'm still writing on every blog site related to the following diseases such as HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Shingles, Hepatitis B/C, Because he cures this kind of disease.    

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...